Sometimes even happy and healthy relationships can encounter a rough patch where one or both people aren’t getting what they want or need. If you are in a relationship that has encountered a difficult patch where one or both of you are feeling stuck or perhaps caught in a locked cycle, Couples Psychotherapy can help. Couples Psychotherapy involves each couple safely and confidentially meeting with a psychotherapist on a weekly basis to talk about issues relating to painful feelings and explore existing and perhaps limiting coping mechanisms along with new ones.
Couples work can often include:
- Exploring thoughts, feelings and underlying beliefs that each partner hold and may not have shared with the other.
- Looking at behaviours in the relationship and how these behaviours impact the relationship.
- How to more effectively communicate these thoughts, feelings and desires.
- How to create change based on both your treatment goals.
- Practicing different communication skills in the session.
- Assigning tasks between the sessions to help you achieve change
- Creative approaches such as: Videoing your communication without the therapist present in order to gain as much insight as possible.